Totnes Jubliee Drinking Fountain was erected in 1904 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. It has been located on The Plains since 1988 but it was originally situated on Station Road on a site donated by the Great Western Railway.
The dedication plaque says:
THIS FOUNTAIN WAS ERECTED
THE DIAMOND JUBILEE
OF THE REIGN OF
HER MOST GRACIOUS MAJESTY
The fountain was paid for by subscriptions and donations. In 1899 £27 8s 7d had been collected with another four guineas promised by the Town Council, making a total of £31 12s 7d. By 1902 £53 had been collected and the memorial was expected to cost £75 in total. The highway committee recommended that the Mayor should be asked to invite more subscriptions.
The Mayor, Alfred Michelmore unveiled the fountain and turned on the water on 1 June 1902 accompanied by members of Totnes Corporation including Alderman Kellock who had been mayor at the time of the jubilee.
The sculptor was Mr Horn of Totnes.
Even at this stage, the fountain had not been paid for. Alderman Kellock had contributed an additional £5 5s leaving £17 unfunded. This was met a month or so later by a grant of £21 from the local committee of the Devon County Agricultural Association who held their show in Totnes in June 1904 because the fountain was “…an ornament to the town, and a very permanent benefit to cattle…”.
Links & References
- Western Times 17 October 1899, 26 November 1902, 2 June 1904, 20 July 1904 via findmypast.co.uk
- Western Morning News 31 May 1904 via findmypast.co.uk