We learn from the History of Reading Society’s The Reading Book of Days that on 1 May 1823 William Henry Timms published his Twelve Views of Reading. These included a view south up Southampton Street (Horne Street) and east along London Road.
W H Timms was the son of William Timms proprietor of the Lower Ship Hotel on Duke Street. Pubs feature in both his Katesgrove images. In Southampton Street the Lower Crown can be seen while in the London Road picture, the Turks Head is on the left with a coach outside.
The set of twelve views was priced at £1 11s 6d for a set or two guineas for a half bound edition.
After living for a time in London Timms eventually settled in Margate.