Thames Water have submitted an application for listed building consent to replace the doors and windows on the sewage pumping station at Blake’s Lock. Town centre sewage is pumped from here to the sewage treatment works in Whitley.
The listed Grade II engine house was built by Reading Borough Council in 1873 and sits along side the screen house and the turbine house which were originally part of the treatment process. The screen house and turbine house are now the location of Reading Museum’s Riverside Museum at Blake’s Lock and are open in the summer for permanent museum displays and special exhibitions.
The bricks for the building came from S & E Collier’s Grovelands brick and tile works and the weir originally powered the pumping engines.