ei publican partnerships are advertising for new tenants for the Queens Head, locally known as ‘The Nob’, on Christchurch Road in Reading.

Full details of the public house are available on the ei partnerships website, including location, local competition and customers. The potential turnover is given as £475,000 per annum, a guide rent of £44,000 per annum and an estimated investment of £18,000 to cover stock, glassware and a deposit.

According to the ei regional manager:

The Queens Head represents a fantastic opportunity for an experienced operator to take on an established wet-led site, which has potential to develop food trade. The pub is popular for cask ales, and there is an opportunity to attract more customers who enjoy live music and effectively market the standalone function room.

The Queens Head occupies the original public house and part of the building which was once the Royal Albert Garage can still be seen in ghost signs on the walls. The properties were built in the second half of the nineteenth century.

In 1911, the landlord was Henry James Hazell; he lived on the premises with his wife, son and four daughters. Next door, at the garage, were George Jarvis and his wife, three sons and two daughters. One of his sons was a motor engineer and another a motor apprentice.

The two buildings were described separately when they were put up for auction as part of the Whitley Grove Estate on 22 June 1886.

Lot three and part of lot four now form the Queens Head

At that time, the public house accommodation included a bar, a parlour, a tap room and inner hall. In addition to the living accommodation there was a yard with a stable and a coach house. The description goes on to say that the premises were “… specially designed and recently erected as an inn.”

Messrs H A Simonds, H J Simonds and B Simonds (partners in Simonds brewery) had rented the property on a repairing lease since 29 September 1878 for £65 per annum.

The property next door was described as a residence, stabling and yard and was leased to cab proprietor William Waite for £45 a year.

By 1903, H & G Simonds Ltd owned the freehold of the pub and the landlord was Edward John Hill, who had held the licence for eight years. The pub accommodation was still a separate bar, parlour and tap room.

Today the bar and restaurant accommodation is in one room with a function room at the rear. It was refurbished in 2015 and, with the Moderation on Caversham Road, was operated by the Reading pub company.

Queens Head soon after refurbishment in March 2015 on the route of the Reading half marathon

  1. The Queens Head at ei publican partnerships
  2. Queens Head – a Reading Pub Company
  3. The Nob mentioned in parliament
  4. Simonds family website
  5. Census details from findmypast.co.uk (subscription required)
  6. 1903 details from County Borough of Reading. Licensed Houses, : reports of the committee of borough justices appointed to visit licensed houses to obtain statistical information, and of the clerk to the justices, and statistical information obtained
  7. Dennis Wood. Views from the Hill, The Story of Whitley