Avanti Cycling are offering free bike courses over the next month as part of the Reading Bikeability scheme.
Basic bike maintenance
In this course, you can learn how to maintain your gears and brakes and get an overview of your bike’s key components. You can learn how to perform a safety check, repair punctures and change a tyre, how to clean and lubricate your bike. You’ll get other simple maintenance tips to keep your bike running for longer.
- Monday 20 March 6.30pm – 8.30pm, Reading Bicycle Kitchen.
- Monday 10 April 6.30pm – 8.30pm, (venue to be decided).
- Saturday 22 April 10am – 12 noon, (venue to be decided).
Back on your bike confidence booster
This session may help you brush up on basic skills such as turning, braking and emergency braking, signalling and looking behind. It also includes an introduction to cycling on roads.
- Sunday 26 March 1pm – 3pm, Palmer Park.
- Tuesday 11 April 1pm – 3pm, Rivermead.
- Saturday 22 April 1pm – 3pm, Palmer Park.
This course will let you discover routes around Reading and develop your on-road cycling skills and safety. It is aimed at anyone who wants to increase their road skills and route navigation around Reading. You can learn more about road positioning, communicating with other road users and you can try out various junction manoeuvres whilst discovering new routes and locations.
- Sunday 26 March 3pm – 5pm, Palmer Park.
- Tuesday 11 April 3pm – 5pm, Rivermead.
- Saturday 22 April 3pm – 5pm, Palmer Park.
Attendees need to book in advance and be at least 16 years old. Helmets are recommended, but not compulsory, and you must bring a roadworthy bike with working brakes. Free Readybike hire is available for these sessions if booked in advance. You can get a free bike check if you arrive 45 minutes before the advertised start time.
Email [email protected] to book a place or for more information.
This article was originally published by the Reading Neighbourhood Network.